Monday, December 23, 2013

Ford - Hist of Hamilton Co., Ohio... [duplicate?]

"The 'Stations.' The first of these small forts or stockades was named 'Dunlap's station,' at Colerain, seventeen miles northwest of Cincinnati, about which a good many settlers early concentrated; the second, although at first called by Symmes 'Mill Creek station,' is better known as Ludlow's, and was at Cumminsville, within the present limits of Cincinnati; and the third was probably 'COVALT's station.' A few months later, in November, after Harmar's defeat, Mr. Symmes writes: 'But for the repulse of our army, I should have had several new stations advanced further into the Purchase by next spring; but I now shall be very happy if we are able to maintain the three advanced stations.'"

 --Henry A. Ford and Kate B. Ford, History of Hamilton County, Ohio, with illustrations and biographical sketches (Cleveland, OH: L.A. Williams, 1881), 47. (

Author: Ford, Henry A., compFord, Kate B., joint compWilliams, L.A. & co., Cleveland, O., pub
Publisher: Cleveland, Ohio, L. A. Williams
Possible copyright status: The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright restrictions for this item.
Language: English
Call number: 6785826
Digitizing sponsor: The Library of Congress
Book contributor: The Library of Congress
Collection: library_of_congressamericana
Notes: Some pages are damage.
Full catalog record: MARCXML
[Open Library icon]This book has an editable web page on Open Library.

pages 372 and 373
transcribed by Linda Boorom

"Cary Benson JOHNSON resides at the ancestral home, three-quarters of a mile west of Mount Pleasant. He is the fourth son of Cary JOHNSON, born March 28, 1781, in Somerset county, New Jersey, and died at his home farm near Mount Pleasant February 15, 1866, and buried at Burlington cemetery. Cary was the oldest son of Abner JOHNSON, who died January 14, 1832, in Colerain township, and who was the son of Samuel, who died May 14, 1808, and was buried in Basking Ridge cemetery. They were all of Scotch ancestry, and all at some time residents of Basking Ridge, Somerset county, New Jersey; and they were all brought up as members of the old Presbyterian church, whose building (of 1839) still stands at Basking Ridge, upon the site of the log church put up for the society near the beginning of the seventeenth century. Cary JOHNSON was the first of the family to come to Hamilton county. He immigrated on horseback in 1804, a young carpenter of twenty-three, making his beginnings in the world. His father (grandfather of Cary Benson JOHNSON) had been a wagoner in Washington's army near Morristown, where it spent two winters and lost many men from small-pox and other causes. He received his pay in land warrants covering a half-section of land, which he sent out by Colonel LUDLOW, with instructions to locate them favorably within eight or ten miles of Cincinnati. The colonel located with them the west half of section thirty-two, adjoining the present village of Mount Pleasant.  Mr. JOHNSON sent his son Cary to view the tract and improve it; and he, after staying for a short time in Cincinnati, pushed his way through the woods to the site of the property, where he built a log cabin, about one hundred and fifty yards northwest of the present homestead. It stood until 1880, when it was torn down. Its appearance, however, is preserved quite faithfully in the engraving accompanying this notice. An old well, still used, marks the hallowed spot where it stood. Mr. JOHNSON pursued with energy the clearing and improvement of the place, which was deeded some time afterwards by the father to him and his brothers  Samuel and Andrew, who also came out in 1807 and settled their places. When the elder JOHNSON came, in 1813, he settled at  the former site of Dunlap's station, in Colerain township, near the famous ancient work in the bend of the river, which contains the old cemetery in which Abner JOHNSON lies buried.
Cary JOHNSON, his son, married Rachel, daughter of John JESSUP, of Mill Creek township, September 12, 1805. Mrs. JOHNSON was an aunt of Mrs. Robert CARY, mother of the famous CARY sisters.  Her grandfather, Stephen JESSUP, was a  weaver's apprentice in England, but ran away from a hard master and came to the new world in the early part of the eighteenth century. He lived a long time in a log cabin on Long Island, and moved thence to Cumberland, Deerfield township, New Jersey, where he accumulated property and made his will February 17, 1757 - a curious old document, now in possession of his great-grandson, Cary B. JOHNSON. He had three sons, John, Isaac, and Daniel; and two daughters, Sarah and Abigail. John was grandfather of C. B. JOHNSON. Daniel was father of Daniel JESSUP, Jr., who became known as "Indian Daniel," from the fact of his capture by the Indians. Isaac went south, and from him was reputed to, be descended General JESSUP, of the United States army. Abigail came to this county, where she married a Mr. GALLAGHER, and became the mother of the celebrated poet and magazinist, W. D. GALLAGHER, thus confirming the notion of the poetic strain in the blood suggested. by the talent of the Cary sisters, who were also, on their mother's side, of the Jessup stock...."
Copyright © 2003 Tina Hursh.  All rights reserved.
For problems or questions about this web site, contact Tina Hursh.
 US Biographies Coordinator, Deb Murray.