Monday, December 23, 2013

Indian-artifact Magazine, Volumes 13-14


Fogelman Publishing Company,University of Wisconsin - Madison
[more...]

2013, Dec 24
I am confused by my email. I just found this message from you. Maybe I am getting old. Anyway can I get the full article or better yet, the whole issue? The quotes in my original message were clearly incomplete.
Do you use Pay-Pal, credit cards, or cash? Let me know and I will pick out several issues on the 3+1 special.
Sorry for the confusion. All the best.
---
Just found this:
On Dec 15, 2013, at 6:06 PM, iam@chilitech.net wrote:
Hi Bill:
Sorry for the delay, hunting season, people coming and going. The article
you mention was done by a gal in Ohio. I don't know what she used for
references, I don't think they were ever listed. I don't know that I would
use it as a reference for anything substantial. Gary.
---
2013, Dec 24
Hope you are OK. I have included several emails if that helps. Even a photocopy of only that article would help me. Our family was there in 1790-1792, so I am especially interested, and the historical documents present different versions of these events.
Do you happen to know if any libraries have it ?
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.
---
2013, Dec 10
Re: Volume 13-14, esp. Page 5!
Did you get this?
---
From: Bill Robinson <robinsonbster@icloud.com>
Date: December 5, 2013 at 9:59:02 PM EST
Subject: Volume 13-14, esp. Page 5
I found a Google Snippet View of an article you wrote. I am researching Dunlap's Station in SW Ohio.
If I understood your website, you do not have this available as a full back issue. Would it be possible to get a copy?
I am also interested in where this info came from. Is it fiction? Below is what I transcribed so you know what I an interested in.
Thanks in advance.
---
Fogelman, Gary L.
Turbotville, PA. 1982.


[page 5]
"... Freeze solid. However great their victory, the natives face considerable hardship that winter. The natives of Kegonga and Chillicothe have been obliged to feast the warriors though it aided them in battle. Hamar had burned 20,000 bushels of their corn, and vegetables. He had also destroyed much of their winter clothing when he...
… Tecumseh felt that he was needed more for hunting at this time. On the way there Blue Jacket and his party apprehended a settler named Abner Hunt, who was traveling between Symmes township and Colerain.
Blue Jacket held a knife to the frightened man's throat and asked, "How many men are there in...
 Dunlap's Station?" "I don't know," replied hunt, his eyes wide with fear. "Come on, man, said Girty, "I'm going to cut off your thumb if you don't do better than that!"
Abner Hunt with pale with fear. He had heard of the bloodthirsty Simon Girty before. "I – I think there are seventy-five settlers, sir, a – and a Garrison of thirteen regulars, commanded by a Lt. Jacob..."
---
... went on throughout the night along with the taunts of the warriors. Fortunately, Hunt died soon after that.
Blue Jacket and Girty probably would have won, but nature turned against them by dropping the temperature to well below zero. The severe weather and the report from scouts that ninety-six regulars were on their way to Dunlap's Station from Fort...
Tecumseh stood so still that he barely seem to breath. The forty warriors in his charge included Sauwaseekau, Black Turkey, Wasegoboah, Sinnanatha, Kumskaka, plus some visiting Ottawas and Kickapoos. The warriors have been hiding on the wooded rise above the Big Bottom blockhouse since before dawn. They quietly listened to the sounds of...
Tecumseh glowered at the handbill in silence for a few minutes. "This makes me sick! Accursed be the race that steals our land and tramples the graves of our dead!"
"Hi-Yip, Yip, Yip! Down with the Sheenanese!" cried the others in reply.
"Blue Jacket, can my warriors and I take this one? "
Blue Jacket smiled "I will let you lead the war party but let me give you a few extra men...
---
...the White flood. "
Blue Jacket shook his head, "No. The main duty of the soldiers at Fort Washington is to keep the settlers on the south side of the river, but is not working. "
Tecumseh sighed, "so, we just have to keep punishing them. "
"Yes, but I have heard rumors of a bigger..."
... American lands. The plunder from these attacks was also very welcome to the Shawnee and Miami villages along the Maumee River. For since Harmer's defeat last fall, there has been much hunger among the villages.
Tecumseh shifted his position to ease his muscles and whispered to War Chief Blue Jacket "Harmer's defeat has not slowed..."
"'What shall we do with these prisoners, my brother?" asked Sauwaseekau. 
Tecumseh glanced around at the captives, bound by prisoner ties around their necks to different warriors. "We will take them back to the village. Now that they are prisoners, I will not suffer them to be tortured..."