Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Burnet's Notes...

[Draft. Exerpt transcribed for Fair Use only. Emphasis added.]

See Also Burnet's letter in McBride, Appendix A?

Cone quoted Judge Burnet: 

"Each party erected a strong blockhouse, near to which their cabins were put up, and the whole was enclosed by strong log pickets. This being done they commenced clearing their lands and preparing for planting their crops. During the day, while they were at work, one person was placed as sentinel to warn them of their approaching danger. At sunset they retired to the blockhouse and their cabins, taking everything of value within the pickets. In this manner they proceeded from day to day and from week to week, till their improvements were sufficiently extensive to support their families.

During this time they depended for subsistence on wild game obtained at some hazard, more than on the scant supplies which they were able to procure from the settlement on the river. In a short time these stations gave protection and food to a large number of destitute families. After they were established the Indians became less annoying to the settlements on the Ohio, as part of their time was employed in watching the stations. They viewed these stations with great jealousy, as they had the appearance of permanent military establishments intended to retain possession of the country. In that they were correct, and it was fortunate for the country that the Indians wanted either the skill or the means to demolish them." (page 93)

Accounts differ as to how word was received at Fort Washington of the attack. One account, that given by Judge Burnet, states that 

"John S. Wallace, who had made his escape from the Indians on the eighth, was still in the fort. It is said that at ten o'clock at night during the attack of the Indians he made an effort to pass through the Indian lines and go to Cincinnati for the purpose of obtaining re-enforcements from General Harmar, at Fort Washington, but finding the Indians encompassing him on every side, he was obliged to return. Fortunately the night happened to be very dark, and at three in the morning Wallace, accompanied by a soldier named William Wiseman, got into a canoe on the side of the fort next to the water's edge, and silently paddled across and landed on the opposite bank, from whence they took to the bushes, and made their way down the river and took the woods for Cincinnati. When about five or six miles out from that place they met a party of soldiers, under General John S. Gano, from Columbia, and returned with them to the station."